At 11:36 PM 7/28/99 -0700, Greg Hewgill wrote:
>No doubt you've all heard about the paradox of Man's first interstellar
>voyage.
>If we were to build and launch a spaceship today that would take us to the
>nearest star in, say, 100 years, then a better spaceship launched later would
>arrive sooner provided our technology advanced fast enough during that time.

You could apply that reasoning to any period in time.  Suppose we don't do
it now and wait for faster whatever 10 years.  In 10 years, they could say
the same thing and wait another 10 years, etc.  You could apply that
reasoning over and over, and never get anything done!

I remember when president Reagan cut out all or almost all of the probes to
other planets.  He said that the planets would be around in the
future.  Carl Sagan said "the planets will be around for a long time, but
will we?"