----- Original Message -----
From: Aaron Blosser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Mersenne@Base. Com <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 1999 12:38 PM
Subject: RE: Mersenne: error 12029

> > Same here, I think the messages are not getting through.  This is
> > intermittant so I think that any of the usual suspects could apply
(server
> > down, server too busy, weather too nice....)
>
> The entropia.com site seemed to be down some earlier today.  Back up now,
> for the time anyway.  I think that's what done caused it :-)

Sounds good.

> > Right now I am trying to figure out why one computer (just a P5MMX-166)
> > locks up every 5 minutes in one room and works fine (10.5 hours since
last
> > boot running mprime95) on my test bench.  Not getting the primenet
> > connection to work reliably is really confusing.  (Is it real or is it
> > memo-wrecked?)
>
> Believe it or not, I've had countless problems with that and, remarkably,
it
> ended up being the flourescent light fixtures near the desk.  It had me
> going there, wondering why it works okay in the lab, but when it's on that
> guy's desk, no go.

Wild.  For me, the P5 is working when it is near my flourescent.  But point
taken --
the interference could be anything.  I have been thinking that it might be
either room
temperature or bad line filtering or a flaky power supply or boards
separating (linked to
room temp again).  All are possible, but the list is open-ended.

> I've even seen problems with some other guy's computer in the next cube
was
> leaking so much RF that it must have been interfering or something.  All I
> knew in that case was that moving the turning off the "suspicious"
computer
> made the other one more reliable.  Weird.

Maybe it is the monitor -- an old IBM 14" (or smaller), generally pretty
nice, but
never know.  The P5 parts and the system board in the nearby computer
where the hangs occur used to be in cases on top of each other in my office.
They
were my main desktop units for about a year.  The P5 had glitches turning
on, but once
it turned on the Video and HDD, all was generally well.  I think the video
and HDD not
turning on might be system board related, but the hanging is new.  Maybe
they want to
be closer together!  (Symbiotic processing?)  Could also be as prosaic as
some minor
corrosion that maybe I have futzed enough to chip.  Well, I guess I will
just have to run
it back to the "remote" location and see if it takes up its old habits.

My wife is developing a sincere distaste for my interior decorating sense:
Oh, you want
the case attached to the chassis?  But it does so nicely as an accent piece
either alongside
or upside-down on top...

> What's that Oriental art of placing things in a room or house to achieve
> harmony?  Feng Shui or something like that? :-)
>
> Aaron

Sounds good.  My old references describe feng-shui ("wind-water") as a
belief
that we can calculate the good or evil in things by examining the topology
of the land.

Sounds like a good beginning to microwave circuitry to me.

Thanks.  "Ah, sweet mystery of life..."

Joth