> > > Right now I am trying to figure out why one computer
> (just a P5MMX-166)
> > > locks up every 5 minutes in one room and works fine (10.5
> hours since
> last
> > > boot running mprime95) on my test bench.  Not getting the primenet
> > > connection to work reliably is really confusing.  (Is it
> real or is it
> > > memo-wrecked?)
> >
> > Believe it or not, I've had countless problems with that
> and, remarkably,
> it
> > ended up being the flourescent light fixtures near the
> desk.  It had me
> > going there, wondering why it works okay in the lab, but
> when it's on that
> > guy's desk, no go.
>
> Wild.  For me, the P5 is working when it is near my
> flourescent.  But point
> taken --
> the interference could be anything.  I have been thinking
> that it might be
> either room
> temperature or bad line filtering or a flaky power supply or boards
> separating (linked to
> room temp again).  All are possible, but the list is open-ended.

Well, if its hot, I'd say room temp. Might want to check the fans etc. I had
a motherboard that refused to boot once, and it was because of a flaky power
supply, so thats always a possibility.

> My wife is developing a sincere distaste for my interior
> decorating sense:
> Oh, you want
> the case attached to the chassis?  But it does so nicely as
> an accent piece
> either alongside
> or upside-down on top...

Heh, hey Aaron, remember when I had that old 486 mounted on the wall in my
old "office"? The entire computer was mounted on the wall, power supply,
disk drives, etc. It was kinda funny, I think we did it cuz we were bored
one day. Oh well, that just reminded me of that...

> > What's that Oriental art of placing things in a room or
> house to achieve
> > harmony?  Feng Shui or something like that? :-)
> >
> > Aaron
>
> Sounds good.  My old references describe feng-shui ("wind-water") as a
> belief
> that we can calculate the good or evil in things by examining
> the topology
> of the land.
>
> Sounds like a good beginning to microwave circuitry to me.
>
> Thanks.  "Ah, sweet mystery of life..."
>
> Joth

Yeh, Feng-Shui is the art of placement of furniture and such. Like having
your desk facing out across the building its in since it is a position of
"power" (you are overlooking the building that way). And other things like
hanging chimes in windows to ward off the bad spirits that get in thru the
windows, and the weird sand box thingies as well as the cool little
fountains and stuff.