Mersenne Digest        Tuesday, August 10 1999        Volume 01 : Number 612

Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 22:23:58 +0200
From: Preda Mihailescu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: Mersenne: Multiple residues - enhancing double-checking

> Yes, they can and do.   In the field of computational number theory, several
> participants in the Cunningham project have been active much longer than my
> decade.  Sam Wagstaff has been co-ordinating it longer than that.  To be
> honest, I don't know when he started.  Perhaps Peter Mon tgomery (another
> long-time participant) can inform us, as I know he's also on the Mersenne
> list.

I have been working on a PhD to prove primes for ten years of sundays, Paul :-)

Preda

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 02:01:50 +0200
From: "Shot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mersenne: Some basic questions

Hi.

Recently I read in a Polish computer magazine about your search and I
decided to join. ("Gazeta Komputer", Tuesday supplement to "Gazeta
Wyborcza" dated August 3rd - info for fellow Poles.)

I installed prime95.exe and have some basic questions (excuse my
igorance and my English, please):

1. My computer is based on Intel's 333 MHz Celeron, with 64 MB DIMM
RAM, working on EPoX P2-112A motherboard (VIA ApolloPro chipset).
PrimeNet sent to me (as I understand it) M8180017, which is now (as I
understand it) being tested by my comp using Lucas-Lehmer test. The
status windows shows that my work should be completed around
September 26th. Am I right in assuming that then it will be known
whether M8180017 is a prime or not? And, if it isn't a prime, it
won't be know until then, right?

2. As I understand the status page, there are smaller untested would-
be primes (about 20.000 below M7820000). Is there any way that I can
test some of them (they would be tested a lot faster than M8180017,
right?), or are they reserved for people with slower computers?

3. My single iteration's time is 0.430 s. Is this about right for my
machine and M8180xxx number?

4. As I understand (from reading list's archives, around summer '96),
earlier people were assigned ranges of numbers to check, and it took
about 6 months to check primes inside a range (range == a thousand of
numbers, containing some primes?). Now, as the project reached such
big numbers as M8180xxx, the assigment is rather one number per
connection, right? Does the "Test=8180017,63" in my worktodo.ini file
mean that I got M8180017 and nothing more (if projected end date is
accurate, it's enough ;)? What does the number 63 mean?

Thanks in advance,
- -- Shot
  __
 c"? Shot - [EMAIL PROTECTED]  hobbies: Star Wars, Pterry, GIMPS, ASCII
 `-' [EMAIL PROTECTED]  join the GIMPS @ http://www.mersenne.org
 In a car rental brochure in Tokyo: When passenger of foot heave
 in sight, tootle the horn. Trumpet him melodiously at first, but
 if he still obstacles your passage then tootle him with vigor.

------------------------------

> status windows shows that my work should be
completed around
> September 26th. Am I right in assuming that
then it will be known
> whether M8180017 is a prime or not? And, if it
isn't a prime, it
> won't be know until then, right?

        Yes to both. Prime95 writes results to
screen and to file RESULTS.TXT, wich is located
in the same directory.

> 2. As I understand the status page, there are
smaller untested would-
> be primes (about 20.000 below M7820000). Is
there any way that I can
> test some of them (they would be tested a lot
faster than M8180017,
> right?), or are they reserved for people with
slower computers?

        This exponents are being tested by other
members, but not necessarily with slower
machines. Simply they got them first.

> 3. My single iteration's time is 0.430 s. Is
this about right for my
> machine and M8180xxx number?

        It seems to be a right number. If you
like, see
http://www2.tripnet.se/~nlg/mersenne/benchmk.htm
Don't worry if you encounter a few % difference
with similar machines.

> 4. As I understand (from reading list's
archives, around summer '96),
> earlier people were assigned ranges of numbers
to check, and it took
> about 6 months to check primes inside a range
(range == a thousand of
> numbers, containing some primes?). Now, as the
project reached such
> big numbers as M8180xxx, the assigment is
rather one number per
> connection, right? Does the "Test=8180017,63"
in my worktodo.ini file
> mean that I got M8180017 and nothing more (if
projected end date is
> accurate, it's enough ;)? What does the number
63 mean?

        In the not so early days of GIMPS, George
Woltman assigned work by e-mail. For commodity,
this assignments consisted of ranges, like you
deduced. Now, with the automation, is possible
to assign one exponent per machine. Anyway, in
Prime95 menu's Test -> Primenet it is a
parameter called 'Days of work to get'. Prime95
will reserve work for at less this number of
days, so when you end with the current exponent,
Prime95 begins with other whitout wait for a
connection with Primenet. By default, this
parameter is set to 30 days. You should not
change this, unless you connect with the
internet with less frecuency.

        A Mersenne candidate it is trial factored
prior to a LLTest. Obviously, if a factor is
found the number is not prime and you save
the LLTest. The number 63 means that this
mersenne number has been trial factored up to
2^63. When Prime95 gets an assignment,
calculates if is worthwhile to factorise even
further prior to do a LLTest.

        I encourage you to read the GIMPS and mail
list faq's to learn more.

        Saludos
                Oscar Fuentes