On Wed, Aug 18, 1999 at 11:10:55PM +0100, Brian J. Beesley wrote:
>I find my 21164LX-533 runs code compiled from C source with an Alpha
>version of gcc about 4x as fast as an Intel PII-350 runs the same
>code compiled with an Intel version of the same mark of the same
>compiler.

Note that gcc is currently not very good for Intel chips (I think
PentiumGCC - http://www.goof.com/pcg/ fixes some problems there,
but it introduces more bugs), since it assumes that you have many
registers. Which 80x86s don't have :-( (Wish there was a way to
program P6 microcode directly! Over 30 registers... Yummy...)

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://members.xoom.com/sneeze/