> Note that gcc is currently not very good for Intel chips (I think
> PentiumGCC - http://www.goof.com/pcg/ fixes some problems there,
> but it introduces more bugs), since it assumes that you have many
> registers. Which 80x86s don't have :-( (Wish there was a way to
> program P6 microcode directly! Over 30 registers... Yummy...)

I can't wait for Merced and direct access to all of those FPU and general
purpose INT registers.  You think 30 is yummy, how about 128 FPU and 128 gen
purpose?  A virtual feast!

I imagine you could significantly speed up the code by keeping much of the
data in register.  REG-REG operations take a lot less time than a REG-MEM
operation.  Should be delicious.