---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 19:55:53 +0200 (DFT)
From: Wilfrid Keller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                                              September 20, 1999
Dear Warut, Dear Colleagues:

Concerning the subject of Mersenne numbers  M(q) = 2^q - 1, where
q = 2^p - 1  itself is a Mersenne prime, I am sorry I hadn't seen
your relevant web page before.  As the factor of  M(M(13))  that
I had found in 1976 might suggest, I have shown interest in this
particular kind of Mersenne numbers since many, many years.  Re-
garding the factor of  M(M(31))  just rediscovered by Lucas Wiman,
I regret to inform you that it was already "published" in 1983.
Unfortunately, Guy Haworth's notes (please see the references be-
low) were released only "privately", but were in fact widely cir-
culated.  The second prime factor of  M(M(31)),  found by Tony
Forbes, was also known to me for some years (again, see below).

Let me take this opportunity to communicate to you the complete
records of my search for factors of numbers  M(M(p)),  particular-
ly including the attained limits, which may help to avoid further
duplication.  Also, please note that  M(M(127))  was shown to have
no factor  2h x M(127) + 1  for  h < 6.8 x 10^8.

If you should find it of interest to forward my data to some per-
tinent mailing list (NMBRTHRY or so), please feel free to do so.
And if you have any questions related to this topic, I would be
glad to respond.

With my best wishes to all of you,

Wilfrid Keller

[PS: This note is by no means intended to earn the money allegedly
     offered for a proof that  M(M(31))  is not a prime.  Anyway,
     the reward would have been for discovering a factor, and not
     for giving a reference where to look it up, I suppose.]

         Known prime factors  2h*M(p) + 1 of
         "iterated" Mersenne numbers  M(M(p))
                 as of November 1996

      p        h       Discoverer    References

     13    20644229    Keller      Haworth [1983],
                                   Ribenboim [1988]

     17         884    Robinson    Robinson [1957]
     17      245273    Keller      Haworth [1983]

     19          60    Robinson    Robinson [1957]
     19     5480769    Keller      Found Aug 20, 1994
                                   (unpublished)

     31       68745    Keller      Haworth [1983]
     31    20269004    Keller      Found Aug 28, 1994
                                   (unpublished)