Okay, okay... obviously a lot of people were awake <sigh>
(you can stop flooding me with emails!!)

In a previous message I wrote:

>P.S. At the 79.3M range, you'll probably not want to set it
>at 100 iterations...  Per iteration time on 266MHz PII with
>64MB RAM is 58.781 seconds!!!  (Yes, it's true, but I'm also
>just checking to see if anybody's awake :))

I went back to the exponent in question and ran another test.

There are a couple of notes here:
  1) This originally was done for a particular test in QA.
  2) George didn't have the new timings up at the time.
  3) I thought it was high myself, but what did I know?

What I found was:
  1) I obviously had something running in the background
     I was not aware of.
  2) The actual time dropped to 4.231 sec/iter
  3) Amazingly, there didn't appear to be much HDD paging
     happening except went you hit 'STOP'!

BTW, for those of you who don't know (or actually asked),
these exponents use 4096K FFT runlengths, and 16M save
files...

Eric Hahn