[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On the other hand, I was under the impression that the C "register"
> keyword was intended as a suggestion to the compiler, not an absolute,
> i.e. that compilers should be free to heed or ignore the programmer's
> advice on this point. Looks like whether that's true depends on the compiler.

>From what I understand of gcc (the GNU C compiler), the only thing
that using "register" affects is what variables are retained by
setjmp()/longjmp() - and you don't tend to see those routines being
used in numerical code.  As to which variables are actually stored
in registers, I think gcc ignores the "register" keyword when making
those decisions.  Indeed, a good optimiser may make some variables
disappear altogether, which can make object-level debugging difficult
with heavy optimisation enabled...

Simon.