> > I think trial factoring is done to 2^68 for an exponent around 33 million.
> > Thus your chance is 2 * 68 / 33000000.
>
> Okay, so as far as we know, each number is equally likely to be prime, and
> this probability is just based on how much has already been tested ?

Umm, no.  The probability that a number is prime is inversly proportional
to the number of digits (or more precisely, the probability that a number
on the interval [1,x] is prime is asomtotically 1/ln(x)).

However, the probability that a number is prime increases with the amount
that has been trial factored (without finding a factor).  The precise
estimation is based on Mertel's theorem.

> Ugh... I apparently had bad math teachers, and GIMPS is really making me
> feel it.  I *really* wanna play with these numbers, but I feel
> intellectually cripled.

You certainly seem to have done a good job!  You found the two big
conjectures about Mersenne distribution.  That is Curt Noll's (poorly
defined) island theory (your pairs observation), and your observation
about it being roughly exponetial (a conjecture due to Wagstaff, and
others, though Wagstaff's has hueristic evidence to back it up).

See http://www.utm.edu/research/primes/notes/faq/NextMersenne.html,
as well as http://www.tasam.com/~lrwiman/FAQ-mers, Q4.2.

> Does anybody see what I'm talking about ?  Is there any significance to
> this ?  Has somebody already written extensive papers on this ?

Yes, see above.  Good work!

-Lucas