On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Aaron Blosser wrote:

> Some of us have volunteered to pony up some dough to give to the next person
> who finds a Mersenne Prime.  This goes back to the way it was *before* the
> EFF prize.  Since it'll be a while before we find a 10M digit prime (unless
> someone gets REAL lucky), it's nice to have a small incentive for someone to
> find another one before that.
>
> Did we ever "elect" anyone to keep track of "donations"?  Scott?  George?
> :-)  Once we figure that out, maybe a little pool could get going to add to
> the already pledged amounts.  If you're really (and I mean *really*) excited
> about new discoveries, maybe you'd like to pledge $10 or $20 or however
> much.  I've pledged more, but that's more of an atonement for things I did
> last year, besides the thrill of finding a new Mersenne prime.  :-)

I'd been thinking about this some.  I'd be willing to put in at least $20
a year (after all, it is an ongoing thing) toward a prize of up to $5k for
every prime found, reguardless of how it is found, as long as there is
full disclosure -- similar to the rules of the cureent EFF contest.

I think the EFF is in a good position to set up a fund, so I cc'd them in
this email.  I'm hoping that's appropriate.