I think my favorite counterexample to arguments like this is Gabriel's
Horn.  Take the function 1/x, and revolve it around the x-axis.  You now
have something that looks very similar to a trumpet's bell.  Now, find the
volume of this from 0 to infinity.  It has a finite volume.  However, it
has an infinite surface area.  (These can both be determined by
integration, however, it's been long enough since my last Calc class that
I'd probably mess up the integral for surface area, so I won't try...)
  Also, spend a bit of time with the concept of limits.  Limits can
approach, to an infinitesimally small difference, a finite value.  So think
of the circle calculation as a limit problem, something along the lines of:
lim(y->pi)y * r^2 = area of circle.
Since we know the area of the circle to be finite, we know the limit must
be finite.  However, this makes no stipulations on the properties of y (and
essentially pi, from that standpoint), so in no way is pi limited to having
an infinite number of decimals.
  And then there's just all the standard research on pi.  Check out the
arctan function, and some of the newer "distributed calculating digits of
pi" projects  on the web for other formulas that can solve for any digit
(or up to and including that digit) of pi.  Especially looking at the
summations, it's somewhat apparent that they don't resolve as simply as all
that.
  My 1 3/4 cents.
  George