Henrik Olsen wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Apr 2000, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

> > Check /etc/fstab.
> > There's a line there that says something like
> >
> > none            /proc           proc            something       0 0
> >
> > If you change "something" (whatever that is) to "defaults", and umount and
> > mount /proc, everyone can probably read it.
> It's already
>  none /proc proc defaults 0 0
> in /etc/fstab, the 550 permissions for /proc/net isn't due to a mount
> option, but looks like it's modified in the source.
>
> > No idea why Mandrake would choose not to make it world readable....
> It's essentially a paranoid version of RedHat, which is actually a Good
> Thing (tm), as RH has more holes than a sieve out of the box.
>

> >                  Harald

Hello,

It can even be done easier, mount /proc with the gid=(group id) and make
mersenne
member of this group

>From the docs wich comes with the security patches:

 Restricted /proc
------------------

This option restricts the permissions on /proc so that non-root users
can
see their own processes only, and nothing about active network
connections,
unless they're in a special group.  This group's id is specified via the
gid= mount option, and is 0 by default.  (Note: if you're using identd,
you
will need to edit the inetd.conf line to run identd as this special
group.)
Also, this disables dmesg(8) for the users.  You might want to use this
on an ISP shell server where privacy is an
issue.

As said before the security patch normally does not enable a secured
proc filesystem, the mandrake mdksec kernel does.
The mdksecure kernel has kernel moodule versions set, which makes
it possible to insert a module which is compiled elsewhere, this is
clearly less secure.

Kind regards, martijn

--
http://jkf.penguinpowered.com