Mersenne Digest         Monday, April 17 2000         Volume 01 : Number 719

Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 14:51:10 +0200 (CEST)
From: Henrik Olsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mersenne: V20 beta #3

On Sat, 15 Apr 2000, Brian J. Beesley wrote:
> On 15 Apr 00, at 4:22, Henrik Olsen wrote:
>
> > I just tried downloading 20.3, both mprime and sprime, as well as tried
> > with mprime 19.0.2 . None of them where able to detect the network as
> > being available on a machine running Mandrake Linux, kernel version
> > 2.2.14-15mdksecure, probably due to /proc/net not being readable by
> > non-root on such a system, which is a bit of a bummer, as I as I don't
> > want to have to run it as root. :(
> >
> > Does a solution exist for running mprime on such a system or will I have
> > to use this one as well for SNFS sieving instead of GIMPS?
>
> Could I suggest three things to try:
>
> 1) Install mprime with suid privelege. This should enable mprime to
> read /proc/net as though it were running under root even though it's
> actually running under an unpriveleged user.
With all the respect due to George, I haven't seen anything to indicate
that mprime was written with suid in mind, with in any security concient
person would raise big red flags when contemplating this solution.

Actually, if I setuid it, I might as well run it as root, which is what I
wanted to avoid in the first place.

> 2) Get out your hacker's hat and fix the problem in the source code.
> I'd guess that all you need to change is the code which creates the
> /proc pseudofilesystem at boot time. As you've probably found, you
> don't seem to be able to change the permissions on "files" in the
> /proc tree on a running system - even if you _are_ root.
There isn't one piece of code generating the /proc fs, it's done
dynamically by linking in inodes with relevant callback functions for the
operations on them, one call passing one struct per inode, so it can
happen everywhere and tracking down the call/struct for a specific inode
is a real pain.

> 3) Is Mandrake really linux, or just a linux clone? I think the
> latter. If I'm right, then perhaps switching to a genuine linux (Red
> Hat, or SuSe) might be a sensible thing to do. Though the official
> Red Hat distribution retail package is expensive, you can get just
> the CD for about $2, or download the distribution FoC (not
> reccomended unless you have fast internet access!)
Mandrake is really Linux (whatever that means), it's essentially RedHat
with the security holes fixed, and all rpm's compiled for the Pentium.

(as for my connection it's only 2Mb/s)

> Regards
> Brian Beesley

- --
Henrik Olsen,  Dawn Solutions I/S       URL=http://www.iaeste.dk/~henrik/
Should we throw another human wave of structural engineers at stabilizing
the Leaning Tower of Pisa, or should we just let the damn thing fall over
and build a tower that doesn't suck?
    Neal Stephenson about cruft, In The Beginning... Was The Command Line

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 11:41:52 -0000
From: "Brian J. Beesley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 10:56:27 -0700
From: Will Edgington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Brian J. Beesley writes:
   On 15 Apr 00, at 4:22, Henrik Olsen wrote:
   > I just tried downloading 20.3, both mprime and sprime, as well as tried
   > with mprime 19.0.2 . None of them where able to detect the network as
   > being available on a machine running Mandrake Linux, kernel version
   > 2.2.14-15mdksecure, probably due to /proc/net not being readable by
   > non-root on such a system, which is a bit of a bummer, as I as I don't
   > want to have to run it as root. :(

   1) Install mprime with suid privelege. This should enable mprime to
   read /proc/net as though it were running under root even though it's
   actually running under an unpriveleged user.

As Henrik later points out, this is _not_ a good idea.  I'm sure we
all trust George - or we wouldn't be running his binaries - but he is
not a Linux security expert, and even I wouldn't do this and I've not
only read the source code, I've worked with UNIX security since 1980
and I see nothing wrong with the code in the security sense.

Besides, there are other solutions.  Which is, by the way, the first
"test" that setuid should not be used: it should only be used as a
last resort, after just about everything else has been tried.

   2) Get out your hacker's hat and fix the problem in the source code.

The first time I read this, I thought you meant the Prime95 source
code.  That's certainly where I'd look first.

   I'd guess that all you need to change is the code which creates the
   /proc pseudofilesystem at boot time. As you've probably found, you
   don't seem to be able to change the permissions on "files" in the
   /proc tree on a running system - even if you _are_ root.

I would guess that there are good reasons that the authors wrote it
this way.  In any case, it's much easier to fix this in Prime95.

   3) Is Mandrake really linux, or just a linux clone? I think the
   latter. If I'm right, then perhaps switching to a genuine linux (Red
   Hat, or SuSe) might be a sensible thing to do. Though the official
   Red Hat distribution retail package is expensive, you can get just
   the CD for about $2, or download the distribution FoC (not
   reccomended unless you have fast internet access!)

This also would be a lot of work and may not even be an option for
many people.  So:

4. Look at the Prime95 source code (well, for version 19.1 anyway,
which is the one I've got unpacked on my system presently) near line
761 of linux/primenet.c, where there's an fopen("/proc/net/route",
"r") inside an #ifdef __linux__.  Look lower down, after the #endif,
and note that __FreeBSD__ doesn't have a similar check; it simply
always returns TRUE.  Looks to me like it would be very simple to add
a check for the fopen() failing due to permissions or whatever under
Linux and return TRUE (i.e., that the system is connected to the
network), perhaps based on a new flag in one of the .ini files.

In fact, always returning TRUE from that function is not that big a
deal; if TRUE is returned when FALSE is correct, all that will happen
is that the later call to connect() - to actually try to connect to
Primenet - will fail and Prime95 will complain to the log file and
screen.  I see such complaints all the time on my Win98 machines and
my new Debian Linux machine (which is running the unmodified RedHat
Linux mprime binary just fine, as far as I can tell).

                                                        Will

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 19:42:49 +0200
From: Martijn Kruithof <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Henrik Olsen wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Apr 2000, Brian J. Beesley wrote:
> > On 15 Apr 00, at 4:22, Henrik Olsen wrote:
> >
> > > I just tried downloading 20.3, both mprime and sprime, as well as tried
> > > with mprime 19.0.2 . None of them where able to detect the network as
> > > being available on a machine running Mandrake Linux, kernel version
> > > 2.2.14-15mdksecure, probably due to /proc/net not being readable by
> > > non-root on such a system, which is a bit of a bummer, as I as I don't
> > > want to have to run it as root. :(
> > >
> > > Does a solution exist for running mprime on such a system or will I have
> > > to use this one as well for SNFS sieving instead of GIMPS?

Hello,

I actually was pretty annoyed by the mkdsec kernel. With the security
patch applied I actually compiled a new kernel in which /proc is
readable by everyone
(More programs suffered from /proc not being readable). This even is the
default
for the security patch! (Most important is the buffer overflow
protection)

Kind Regards, Martijn

- --
http://jkf.penguinpowered.com
Linux distributies voor maar
Fl 10 per CD, inclusief verzendkosten!

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 15:42:43 -0400
From: George Woltman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi,

At 10:56 AM 4/15/00 -0700, Will Edgington wrote:
>near line
>761 of linux/primenet.c, where there's an fopen("/proc/net/route",
>"r") inside an #ifdef __linux__.  Look lower down, after the #endif,
>and note that __FreeBSD__ doesn't have a similar check; it simply
>always returns TRUE.  Looks to me like it would be very simple to add
>a check for the fopen() failing due to permissions or whatever under
>Linux and return TRUE (i.e., that the system is connected to the
>network), perhaps based on a new flag in one of the .ini files.

This is a good fix.  The next v20 release will return TRUE if /proc/net/route
is not readable.  You can keep the current behavior by setting
"RouteRequired=1" in primenet.ini.

A question to all you linux users with modems:  I assume that the
/proc/net/route file exists when you are not connected.  Let me know
if this is not the case (I'll need to change the default setting of
RouteRequired above).

Regards,
George

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 22:27:50 +0200
From: Martijn Kruithof <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

George Woltman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At 10:56 AM 4/15/00 -0700, Will Edgington wrote:
> >near line
> >761 of linux/primenet.c, where there's an fopen("/proc/net/route",
> >"r") inside an #ifdef __linux__.  Look lower down, after the #endif,
> >and note that __FreeBSD__ doesn't have a similar check; it simply
> >always returns TRUE.  Looks to me like it would be very simple to add
> >a check for the fopen() failing due to permissions or whatever under
> >Linux and return TRUE (i.e., that the system is connected to the
> >network), perhaps based on a new flag in one of the .ini files.
>
> This is a good fix.  The next v20 release will return TRUE if /proc/net/route
> is not readable.  You can keep the current behavior by setting
> "RouteRequired=1" in primenet.ini.
>
> A question to all you linux users with modems:  I assume that the
> /proc/net/route file exists when you are not connected.  Let me know
> if this is not the case (I'll need to change the default setting of
> RouteRequired above).
>
> Regards,
> George
>

>From memory, it should still exist, as the loopback device will always
be present, and thus there will always be a loopback route.

Kind Regards, Martijn

- --

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 00:06:10 +0200
From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

At 14:51 15.04.2000 +0200, Henrik Olsen wrote:
>On Sat, 15 Apr 2000, Brian J. Beesley wrote:
> > On 15 Apr 00, at 4:22, Henrik Olsen wrote:
> >
> > > I just tried downloading 20.3, both mprime and sprime, as well as tried
> > > with mprime 19.0.2 . None of them where able to detect the network as
> > > being available on a machine running Mandrake Linux, kernel version
> > > 2.2.14-15mdksecure, probably due to /proc/net not being readable by
> > > non-root on such a system, which is a bit of a bummer, as I as I don't
> > > want to have to run it as root. :(
> > >
> > > Does a solution exist for running mprime on such a system or will I have
> > > to use this one as well for SNFS sieving instead of GIMPS?

Check /etc/fstab.
There's a line there that says something like

none            /proc           proc            something       0 0

If you change "something" (whatever that is) to "defaults", and umount and
mount /proc, everyone can probably read it.

No idea why Mandrake would choose not to make it world readable....

                 Harald

- --
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 00:35:28 +0200 (CEST)
From: Henrik Olsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Sun, 16 Apr 2000, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
> At 14:51 15.04.2000 +0200, Henrik Olsen wrote:

> Check /etc/fstab.
> There's a line there that says something like
>
> none            /proc           proc            something       0 0
>
> If you change "something" (whatever that is) to "defaults", and umount and
> mount /proc, everyone can probably read it.
It's already
 none /proc proc defaults 0 0
in /etc/fstab, the 550 permissions for /proc/net isn't due to a mount
option, but looks like it's modified in the source.

> No idea why Mandrake would choose not to make it world readable....
It's essentially a paranoid version of RedHat, which is actually a Good
Thing (tm), as RH has more holes than a sieve out of the box.

>                  Harald

- --
Henrik Olsen,  Dawn Solutions I/S       URL=http://www.iaeste.dk/~henrik/
ZOOLOGY, n.
   The science and history of the animal kingdom, including its king, the
   House Fly (Musca maledicta).    The Devil's Dictionary, Ambrose Bierce.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 00:36:19 +0200 (CEST)
From: Henrik Olsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Sat, 15 Apr 2000, George Woltman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At 10:56 AM 4/15/00 -0700, Will Edgington wrote:
> >near line
> >761 of linux/primenet.c, where there's an fopen("/proc/net/route",
> >"r") inside an #ifdef __linux__.  Look lower down, after the #endif,
> >and note that __FreeBSD__ doesn't have a similar check; it simply
> >always returns TRUE.  Looks to me like it would be very simple to add
> >a check for the fopen() failing due to permissions or whatever under
> >Linux and return TRUE (i.e., that the system is connected to the
> >network), perhaps based on a new flag in one of the .ini files.
>
> This is a good fix.  The next v20 release will return TRUE if /proc/net/route
> is not readable.  You can keep the current behavior by setting
> "RouteRequired=1" in primenet.ini.
>
> A question to all you linux users with modems:  I assume that the
> /proc/net/route file exists when you are not connected.  Let me know
> if this is not the case (I'll need to change the default setting of
> RouteRequired above).
/proc/net/route exists as long as the kernel is compiled with networking
capabilities, it's the content that varies with the configured devices,
ie. its presence alone is not a good indication whether there's currently
a dialled up connection.

> Regards,
> George

- --

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 08:01:54 +0200
From: Martijn Kruithof <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Henrik Olsen wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Apr 2000, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

> > Check /etc/fstab.
> > There's a line there that says something like
> >
> > none            /proc           proc            something       0 0
> >
> > If you change "something" (whatever that is) to "defaults", and umount and
> > mount /proc, everyone can probably read it.
> It's already
>  none /proc proc defaults 0 0
> in /etc/fstab, the 550 permissions for /proc/net isn't due to a mount
> option, but looks like it's modified in the source.
>
> > No idea why Mandrake would choose not to make it world readable....
> It's essentially a paranoid version of RedHat, which is actually a Good
> Thing (tm), as RH has more holes than a sieve out of the box.
>

> >                  Harald

Hello,

It can even be done easier, mount /proc with the gid=(group id) and make
mersenne
member of this group

>From the docs wich comes with the security patches:

 Restricted /proc
- ------------------

This option restricts the permissions on /proc so that non-root users
can
see their own processes only, and nothing about active network
connections,
unless they're in a special group.  This group's id is specified via the
gid= mount option, and is 0 by default.  (Note: if you're using identd,
you
will need to edit the inetd.conf line to run identd as this special
group.)
Also, this disables dmesg(8) for the users.  You might want to use this
on an ISP shell server where privacy is an
issue.

As said before the security patch normally does not enable a secured
proc filesystem, the mandrake mdksec kernel does.
The mdksecure kernel has kernel moodule versions set, which makes
it possible to insert a module which is compiled elsewhere, this is
clearly less secure.

Kind regards, martijn

- --

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 17:24:52 +0200 (CEST)
From: Henrik Olsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Sun, 16 Apr 2000, Martijn Kruithof wrote:
> Henrik Olsen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It can even be done easier, mount /proc with the gid=(group id) and make
> mersenne
> member of this group
Thanks, this solved the problem for me, now I just have to wait for the
server to get up again so it can grab someting to work on.

- --

Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 02:12:35 +0100
From: "Siegmar Szlavik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mersenne: GIMPS and other distributed projects

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000 07:56:33 -0000, Brian J. Beesley wrote:
>On 13 Apr 00, at 22:47, Francois LeBlanc wrote:
>
>>     On another note, I want to convince my University faculty (Science) to
>>     run Prime 95 in the computer labs.  How can I prove that the client
>>     will not affect the performance of the computers; even the old Pentium
>>     60ish. I'm not sure if I believe that myself.
>
>Don't forget you can also use the "time of day" stuff (in prime.ini)
>to make Prime95 get completely off the system at times when the
>system is required to be 100% dedicated to user applications.

This is a good option and I use it very often, especially on slower
machines. What I am missing is some 'screensaver-functionality' (i.e.
prime95 stops when there is some user interactivity). I would find it
very usefull if this can be added to furture versions of prime95 (or
even better to the nt service) George?

>Basically what I'm saying is that, if you can run what the users want
>on a system (no matter how slow it is or how ungenerous its memory),
>running Prime95 in the background as well should make no perceivable
>difference to the system so far as users are concerned. For instance,

yes, it "should", but I noticed, that on some machines prime95/ntprime
gets out of control after a few days and the system is no longer useable.
The program seems to get all the cpu time, allthough it runs with the
default (lowest) priority. Sometimes it helps to reboot the machine once
or twice a day, but just only sometimes :( Any idea, what could be the
reason?

happy hunting

Siegmar

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 23:33:49 -0400
From: George Woltman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mersenne: Facelift

Hi all,

        It is well past time to give the GIMPS web pages a facelift.  HTML,
banners, and graphics are not my area of expertise.  I made a first draft
of a new look and feel - let me know what you think (either to the list or
by private e-mail).  Visit

        http://www.mersenne.org/newhtml/prime.htm

                        and

        http://www.mersenne.org/newhtml/status.htm

Some questions for you folks include:

1)  Is this an improvement?

2)  Can someone come up with a spiffier banner?

3)  Any suggestion on using more color (yet still look good given
the black and white picture of our hero Marin Mersenne)?

4)  Is this too slow to download?  Would you rather not have the
mouse rollover feature (it adds to the .gif files downloaded).

5)  Would you rather I use frames so the menu does not scroll?

6)  Is the link to hitbox at the very bottom too annoying?  (I get free
web stats by using this).

7)  I'll work on the site contents this week.  Is there any missing info
from the current web site that doesn't fit into one of the proposed
categories?

8)  Any other comments?

Thanks for the feedback,
George

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 23:54:22 EDT
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Mersenne: SPARC/Solaris client

Has anyone considered writing a perl script to interface
{mprime|Prime95|other} to Primenet?  It seems like dividing the communication
work from the math might be worthwhile, and since all the configuration lives
in .ini files and the output lives in .txt files, it should be easy for perl
to do it.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 09:45:28 +0200
From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mersenne: Facelift

At 23:33 16.04.2000 -0400, George Woltman wrote:

>Some questions for you folks include:
>
>1)  Is this an improvement?

Mumble. The status page is now too wide.

>2)  Can someone come up with a spiffier banner?
>
>3)  Any suggestion on using more color (yet still look good given
>the black and white picture of our hero Marin Mersenne)?
>
>4)  Is this too slow to download?  Would you rather not have the
>mouse rollover feature (it adds to the .gif files downloaded).

Yes, it's too slow. In addition to removing the mouse rollover, I'd prefer
the menu done with styled text, not GIFs.
(Disclaimer: I'm in Norway. That means some tenths of seconds of additional
load time for every single GIF on the page that cannot be served from
cache, compared to the US - NO MATTER how much bandwidth I have)

>5)  Would you rather I use frames so the menu does not scroll?

No. Frames are bad for my mental health.

>6)  Is the link to hitbox at the very bottom too annoying?  (I get free
>web stats by using this).

would be less irritating if you right-justified it in a table together with
the counter, so as not to make the page longer.

>7)  I'll work on the site contents this week.  Is there any missing info
>from the current web site that doesn't fit into one of the proposed
>categories?
>
>8)  Any other comments?

Styling is good. Just make sure information doesn't suffer!
Great project!

                       Harald

- --
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 11:57:40 +0200
From: "Hoogendoorn, Sander" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>4)  Is this too slow to download?  Would you rather not have the
>mouse rollover feature (it adds to the .gif files downloaded).

No, not for mee (64k isdn)

>5)  Would you rather I use frames so the menu does not scroll?

yes, it would be better, also the menu should fit on one screen, so no
picture ???

>6)  Is the link to hitbox at the very bottom too annoying?  (I get free
>web stats by using this).

No, not for me, but maybe the logo's could be side by side

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 12:58:25 +0200
From: "Philip Heede" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Sun, 16 Apr 2000 23:33:49 -0400, George Woltman wrote:

 >1)  Is this an improvement?

Yes, definitely.

 >3)  Any suggestion on using more color (yet still look good given
 >the black and white picture of our hero Marin Mersenne)?

I think the proposed look is fine.

 >4)  Is this too slow to download?  Would you rather not have the
 >mouse rollover feature (it adds to the .gif files downloaded).

Yes! As Harald Alvestrand said, not so much because of the size of
the .gifs, but because of the time it takes for the browser to
connect to the server. (I'm also in Europe, specifically Denmark)

 >5)  Would you rather I use frames so the menu does not scroll?

No not particularly. It works quite well as it is, and frames isn't
very friendly to text-mode browsers (ie. lynx).

 >6)  Is the link to hitbox at the very bottom too annoying?  (I get
 >free web stats by using this).

Not at all.

- --
Sincerely,
Philip Heede

... Chain Tagline:  Now stolen [19] times.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 15:39:57 -0000
From: "Brian J. Beesley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On 17 Apr 00, at 2:12, Siegmar Szlavik wrote:

> This is a good option and I use it very often, especially on slower
> machines. What I am missing is some 'screensaver-functionality' (i.e.
> prime95 stops when there is some user interactivity). I would find it very
> usefull if this can be added to furture versions of prime95 (or even
> better to the nt service) George?

Hey, even the screensaver steals cycles when the system is active -
it needs to check that the system still is active!

If what you mean is, tap the screensaver API and make prime95 execute
only if the screensaver is/would be active, then fair enough, I'll
support that - provided it's an option. (This is rather similar to
mprime running under linux starting & stopping depending on loadavg)

> yes, it "should", but I noticed, that on some machines prime95/ntprime
> gets out of control after a few days and the system is no longer useable.

? (see below)

> The program seems to get all the cpu time, allthough it runs with the
> default (lowest) priority. Sometimes it helps to reboot the machine once
> or twice a day, but just only sometimes :( Any idea, what could be the
> reason?

Right. It is _perfectly normal_ for a compute-bound process to get
essentially all the CPU time, providing that nothing with a higher
priority is in a computable state.

The questions that need to be asked are:

(1) is the system really grinding to a halt for some reason? In this
case, it sounds as though this may be the case. In other words,
_something_ is stopping interactive programs getting to a computable
state.

(2) if so, what is causing this? (Bearing in mind that Prime95 seems
to be blissfully ignorant!)

Given that this state is taking time to emerge, I would suspect that
the cause is a memory leak reducing the physical memory available to
interactive processes to a point where the system performance is
badly hit. Prime95 has a nice chunk of memory from when it started &
doesn't change this allocation much, so it just chunters on. (Though
its own performance will start to deteriorate as page/swap thrashing
becomes established).

Now Prime95 seems to run "forever" on an otherwise idle system, so I
think we can rule out Prime95 as being the source of the memory leak.

Note that, if I'm right on this, the system would eventually slow
down badly without Prime95 running at all - though it might well take
longer for the effects to become obvious.

The best diagnostic for this would be to use the Win 9x System
Monitor tool (Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools) - there is a
similar tool in NT, and a much improved version if you happen to have
the appropriate Resource Kit installed - to monitor the memory usage
of the system services (the programs which run all the time Windows
is up), and also of the system free memory (which you have to deduce
from the disk cache size). After a few hours monitoring, you should
be able to spot the culprit.

Microsoft have in the past released patches for some Windows
components and also for some of their applications which have
corrected memory leaks. If a patch is not available, but the leak is
in another component which is not essential (e.g. the notorious
FindFast service which Office installs for you), then you can also
fix the problem by not running that component.

If you have inadvertently installed cracker tools like BackOrifice
etc. then you'd also expect deteriorating performance. It would
definitely be worthwhile checking your systems - even if you decide
to give up running Prime95.

I'd certainly check out the patch level of your Windows components
and whatever applications you are using and bring them up to date.
This is worth doing anyway, e.g. Service Pack 6a for Win NT v4.0
corrects a number of known problems with security (as well as general
fixes) which can make your systems vulnerable to various denial-of-
service attacks.

Basically, what I'm saying is that your systems seem to be getting
into a state they shouldn't, and I don't think Prime95/NTPrime is
playing a part in this. You're seeing Prime95/NTPrime taking a big
slice of CPU time on a system that appears to be choked up, but
that's because it's about the only thing wnating CPU time left in a
runnable state, not a result of the system being overwhelmed by its
demands. In other words, Prime95/NTPrime is being blamed for a
problem which would exist anyway. The problem needs to be fixed, not
what is only a symptom of the problem, and very probably an
incorrectly interpreted symptom at that.