At 09:58 02/24/2001 +0000, Brian J. Beesley wrote:
 >On 23 Feb 2001, at 22:18, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
 >
 >> After being away for five days recently, I noticed that my computer
 >> (running Linux kernel 2.4.1, by the way -- 2.4.2 now) had rebooted.
 >> Just a few hours later, it rebooted again -- and that night, it rebooted
 >> _again_.
 >>
 >> If I turn off mprime (v20), the problem goes away -- the computer
 >> doesn't reboot, at least not the 36 hours I tested. After I start
 >> mprime, it reboots in just a couple of minutes now.
 >
 >As other people have suggested, it sounds like an overheating
 >problem. Most programs do not use the FPU much, and the FPU is a
 >major contributor to power consumption within the CPU.

<snip>

Did you have this problem before upgrading to the 2.4.x kernel series?  As
a simple test, try compiling one of the 2.2.x kernels and booting to that
to see if the same thing happens.  Maybe something about the 2.4.x kernels,
your hardware, and mprime aren't playing nicely.

Yet another $.02 contribution,
Kel