Henk Stokhorst wrote:

> L.S.,
>
> Maybe it would be a good idea to have a special version of prime95 that
> has an option to request exponents that have expired after having been
> reserved for a long time without any progress being on the work for that
> exponent. The server should issue those exponents only to people who
> have that option. That version should only be available to people who
> have fast (700 MHz or more) machines running most of the day. That would
> help prevent exponents expiring multiple times.
>
> YotN,
>
> Henk Stokhorst

Nope bad idea smaller exponent = smaller runtime = lower clock frequency
so it would then be better to have them assigned to machines that are slow
real pentiums for instance (It does really not matter if such an exponent is
finished in 4 or 30 days.

The multple expiering problem is an entirely fake one. It does not hinder
progress, it only makes (relatively small) exponents unavailable for 90
days, in that time we work on other exponents and life goes on.

Martijn Kruithof