On 9 Mar 2001, at 0:45, Henk Stokhorst wrote:

> Maybe it would be a good idea to have a special version of prime95 that
> has an option to request exponents that have expired after having been
> reserved for a long time without any progress being on the work for that
> exponent.

No need for this. Henk, I'll mail you privately explaining why.

> The server should issue those exponents only to people who
> have that option.

Two problems here:

(a) needs a server fix; with due respect I think there are other
things which need fixing more urgently e.g. keeping proper tabs on
P-1 so that work is not replicated wastefully.

(b) reeks of elitism. Whilst I understand your motives, I think there
are a lot of people who would object for that reason.

> That would help prevent exponents expiring multiple times.

Is that _really_ a problem? If anything it only points out a lack of
commitment to the project amongst some of the contributors.