Steve ( [EMAIL PROTECTED] ) wrote on
Saturday, March 10, 2001 at 02:24:00 +0000

> X-Mersenne-Count 229

X-headers, good idea. I agree, no need to reset the message count.

> But having said all of that I don't really think there's much point in
> doing this.

We can't all share the same opinion :-) But I'll ask you this:
how many Mersenne list messages have you missed since you joined the list?
Respectfully, you probably don't know.
Would you want to miss, say, a posting by George Woltman, and not
know about it?

It's common practice in the printed world to consecutively number the
publications.
Besides, I don't think it's that difficult to add a message counter.
(Could you give me a good reason why the server shouldn't number the
messages?)
As Joshua Zelinsky put it: automatic numbering would be pretty helpful.

Maybe Luke Welsh would give his opinion on this subject?

Happy hunting,
Robert van der Peijl