On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 12:08:09PM +0100, Robert van der Peijl wrote:

> We can't all share the same opinion :-) But I'll ask you this:
> how many Mersenne list messages have you missed since you joined the list?

Don't know.

> Respectfully, you probably don't know.
> Would you want to miss, say, a posting by George Woltman, and not
> know about it?

Missed many before I joined the list and the world kept on turning.

> It's common practice in the printed world to consecutively number the
> publications.
> Besides, I don't think it's that difficult to add a message counter.
> (Could you give me a good reason why the server shouldn't number the
> messages?)

Well there isn't a good reason why not, and there is already a counter
of sorts in the Message ID in the header, but it's not very human
readable.

Surely the list management software keeps a count of how many posts have
been sent out to the group, it's just a case of reading/writing that
digit into a header line.

--
Cheers
Steve              email mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

web http://www.zeropps.uklinux.net/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

  3:10pm  up 36 days, 16:51,  2 users,  load average: 1.16, 1.14, 1.06