-----Original Message-----
From: Nathan Russell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Martijn Kruithof <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 12 March 2001 00:23
Subject: Re: Mersenne: Security of prime95 + electricity costs.

>>Notwithstanding I am running mprime as user mersenne with virtually no
>>rights
>>and no shell.
>
>I wish I had that option.
>
>My mprime runs from my Windows drive, and needs to be able to access
>other files in the GIMPS directory.
>
>I can't see any way to do this without giving it access to the entire
>windows drive, but that doesn't greatly worry me since the same is
>true of every program I run under Windows.

I'm in the same position.  At the very least, you should move the mprime
executable onto your Linux drive.  Recent versions of mprime (19 IIRC.  It's
in the WHATSNEW file) allow you to do this and still access the data files on
your Win drive.  Having the executable there gives an easy way into your *nix
to anyone who manages to crack your Win.  (Just by replacing it with a
trojan.)
A competent cracker will get in anyway.  A scriptkiddie might not be able to
otherwise.

Better would be to include in your start-up scripts code to copy the data
files from your prime95 directory into your mprime directory, while copying in
the reverse direction when you shutdown.

>Nathan

Daran