-----Original Message-----
From: Nathan Russell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Brian J. Beesley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 15 May 2001 03:26
Subject: Re: Mersenne: Re: 26 exponents

>Agreed.  Membership to the list indicates a slightly-more-than-casual
>interest in the project, specifically a willingness to sift through a
>few dozen messages per month in order to learn more about the project.
>That interest might well also be a sign of someone who is more likely
>to faithfully complete 'special' assignments in a relatively timely
>fashion.

I'm sure it is.  My intention wasn't to criticise the practice.  It just seems
absurd to me to worry about 'elitism' in the choice of actual exponent
assigned, which the user isn't going to be aware of anyway, and then to be
content with the 'elitism' in the 'most sense' choice of test type, or in the
additional opportunities afforded to list members.  I put 'elitism' into
quotes because I don't agree that it is elitism at all.

>Nathan Russell

Daran G.