On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 04:48:19PM +0100, Daran wrote:
>BTW what happens now when a first-time check, (or for that matter, if a
>double-check) discovers a new prime.  Surely this is checked immediately on
>the fastest machine available to the project, and not left to the vagaries of
>random allocation?

It is run on a different architecture, with different software. The
three first were (as far as I know) tested on Crays, while the 4th (M38
(we think)) was tested on an Alpha machine with mlucas, as far as I
remember.

The idea is to completely eliminate any possibility of a persistent
program or hardware bug :-)

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://members.xoom.com/sneeze/