Hi,

At 06:35 AM 7/24/2001 +0100, Daran wrote:
>As far as I can tell, both first time and DC LLs do P-1 factoring, but not
>trial factoring.  (I suspect they will trial factor first if the exponant
>has not already been trial factored far enough, but I don't recall
>encountering this.)

Both will do trial factoring if necessary.  It is pretty rare that a DC
needs more trial factoring.

>if the historical error rate for P-1s is the same as for LLs,
>(which is a reasonable assumption, given that they use the same FFT code*),
>then the probability of a second P-1 (using the same bounds) finding a
>factor that a first misses will be about 1% of this, i.e 0.02-0.05%, and
>only a single DC would be saved.  Clearly not economical.

You are correct.  Since P-1 factoring was introduced over a year ago, I'm
sure there have been quite a few needless P-1 runs.  This happens primarily
on triple-checks and first-time tests that were abandoned after the P-1
run completed.

On the plus side, double-checking has still not reached the point where
first-time checking was when P-1 factoring was released.

> >    Saying all that doesn't mean we couldn't break out work into more work
> >unit types, it would just mean we'd also have to have a factoring DC work
> >unit type if it was to be removed from the LL runs.

I'll see if I can work out a solution with Scott.  A minimum solution would
have
the server return whether or not the exponent has already had P-1 factoring
done.  A better solution would include giving CPU credit for P-1
factoring and making it a separate work type.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Best regards,
George