Hmm... in games of chance, each game's outcome is independent of the
results of past games, so that is a valid point.

In Mersenne Prime hunting though, I think it's safe to say that
statistically there should be some prime numbers in the range we're
checking, so the more we *don't* find, the higher the odds of the
remaining ones being prime. :)  In other words, there is a certain sort
of dependence on previous outcomes.

In gambling terms, that's like saying that perhaps you could guarantee
winning one game out of every 50 hands of poker (alright, so he's a
lousy player).  If you lost 49 times, and you know you would win 1 out
of 50 times, then yes, there's a 100% chance you'll win the next hand.
:)

What's a bigger issue here is whether or not the statistical model for
how many primes we expect to find in a given range is accurate or not.
Since the probabilities are based purely on the spread of previous
primes, the sample data is pretty small, and there's already a jagged
curve to the whole thing, so any probabilities are likely to be off by a
good amount in practice.

I know we did lots of analyses prior to finding the last one, and I'm
curious how well that # fit any of the odds people had formulated.

Aaron