George Woltman wrote:

> I agree with Steinar's intriguing observation.   Intel's SMT looks
> like two CPUs to the operating system but the two CPUs share
> one core.

Oh no, they're not going to cobble something together like that are they? This looks
like another forthcoming disaster where the chance to make a real technological leap
is squandered in the name of "compatibility" with some OS that firstly didn't deserve
such an effort, and secondly could have been patched anyway. I hope they leave a
mechanism for proper OSs to take full control and assign the parallel threads
themselves, otherwise this will be another PC architectural compromise that blights
performance or otherwise adds timewasting complexity like say: register sharing for
MMX and FPU, cascaded IRQs, FPU IRQ, polled gameport, the whole of real mode(!), shite
DMA, that "pretend the boot CD is actually a floppy disk" crap, and many others.

The idea of SMT is to be able to feed all execution pipelines simultaneously, by
allowing instructions to be drawn from several threads. So for example, when an
application has nothing but integer instructions to execute, then floating-point
instructions can be drawn from a process waiting to execute these and fed down the
then idle floating point pipelines. For computational applications this is
significantly different from having two processors.

Prime95/mprime should be saved by accident rather than design - It executes mostly
floating point, so will not compete head-on with "ordinary" apps which are mostly or
entirely integer.

The following article explained SMT (on the proposed Alpha EV8) for me:
http://www.realworldtech.com/page.cfm?ArticleID=RWT122600000000

Yours,

======= Gareth Randall =======