Brian Beesley wrote:
> On 12 Nov 2001, at 23:34, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
 [snip]
> > Consequent elimination of once-L-Led Mnumbers by second-round
> > factoring would account for some of the difference, though I doubt
> > there've been 30,000.
 [snip]
> 70,000 double check assignments would be expected to find about
> 2,000 factors.

So you agree with me that second-round factoring would account for
some of the difference, but not 30,000 -- right?

> > In addition, some folks have concentrated on factoring Mnumbers
> > that have been L-L tested but not yet DC'd, specifically in order
> > to reduce the number of necessary double-checks.
>
> Eh? Doesn't it make more sense to concentrate on factoring
> Mnumbers that haven't yet been L-L tested? That way "success" in
> finding a factor reduces the number of LL tests, as well as
> (eventually) the number of double checks.

Surely you don't mean to suggest that someone who receives a PrimeNet
double-checking assignment that starts with some trial or P-1
factoring
should stop, return that DC assignment to PrimeNet, then specifically
request an assignment of factoring a Mnumber that hasn't yet been L-L
tested, because that would make more sense than doing the second round
of factoring on the once-L-Led Mnumber, do you?  :-)

Another way of looking at what those to whom I referred are doing is
that we (I'm there) are performing the extra-factoring portions of
potential future DC assignments.  If we don't do that, whoever gets
the future DC assignment will do it, so there's really no wasted
effort.  It's just a redistribution of work that would be done sooner
or later anyway.

As an old punchline goes: "If you don't, someone else will!"  Ahem.

Richard B. Woods