At 12:05 AM 11/28/2001 +0100, george de fockert wrote:
>My factoring machine speed is k6 400Mhz , and I know of the benchmark pages,
>but there are no factoring benchmarks, only LL.
>So, forget trial factoring for the next months, and do only LL ?

The K6 (as well as Cyrix and Intel 486) chips have lousy floating point units.
So bad in fact that a 400 MHZ K6 is about 3 times slower than a 400 MHz
PII when it comes to LL testing, ECM, and P-1 factoring.

What you need is a project that uses integer arithmetic - like distributed.net.

The only GIMPS project that is mostly integer is factoring to a low limit.  At
some point (I think factoring above 2^62) prime95 switches from an integer
algorithm to a floating point algorithm.  What you can do, if you don't mind
operating manually, is to grab a block of exponents above 20,000,000 (either
by email or from the downloadable files at http://www.mersenne.org/status.htm)
and factor them to 2^62.  There is a factoring limit override switch
described in
undoc.txt.  Do not use this switch with Primenet.  Email your factoring
results when you are done.