Hello, Gurus:

At home I have 2 PC's, both of which devote their spare cycles to GIMPS.
One is a 1.3 GHz P4 running W98, and the other a dual 1 GHz P3 running
linux. One of the P3's is doing LL testing, and the other is doing
mostly ECM, with a little trial factoring thrown in.

The only part of Prime95 that uses the SSE2 P4 instructions is the LL
testing. Because of the huge speedup this gives, I would like to keep
the P4 machine doing nothing but LL tests. It is now about a month away
from finishing its first 10 megadigit candidate.

My question is whether it is worth the trouble to shift the trial and
P-1 factoring of the next one to one of the P3 processors (the non-LL
one). It might lead to one extra LL test in two years.

The worktodo file for the P4 has:

Test=current,68,0
Test=next,60,0

It should be noted that the W95 machine does not have enough RAM for
phase 2 of the P-1 factoring, but the linux machine does.

Any suggestions?

TIA,   Gerry
--
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gerry Snyder, AIS Director & Symposium Chair, Region 15 RVP