Well, I think that most people on the list know of my past... it's when
someone does a Google search on me that I think borders on stalking.
One can only wonder what you might find if you did Google searches on
everyone on this list. :)

Anyway... the gardening analogy doesn't pass muster.

First, may I point out that neither GIMPS nor PrimeNet *owns* the
Mersenne exponents being tested.  I would posit that *anyone* is free to
test *any* exponent they choose.

Clearly, the purpose of GIMPS/PrimeNet is to optimize this search by
assigning exponents in an orderly fashion.

I'm not advocating poaching since I feel that Scott/George's system
works fine.  But I am saying that if someone wants to poach exponents,
while I might disagree, there's nothing really wrong with it.

Stealing someone's plants is illegal.  Nobody owns these exponents so
there's nothing to steal.  That's my only point.  Rude, yes.
Morally/ethically/legally there's really no problem with doing it.