Hi,

At 09:44 PM 2/12/2002 -0800, Gerry Snyder wrote:
>I was seeing a bunch of suminputs !=
>sumoutputs, and after rebooting, the errors switched to round off [4] > 0.40
>
>Was I just unlucky about timing, with only about 0.3% left?

Dang.  That is unlucky.  Looks like a hardware problem.  Is the CPU
overheating?  Get motherboard monitor or similar program to find out.
Did a fan go bad?  Did airflow in the cabinet get reduced considerably?
Did a memory chip go bad?  Did the power supply go bad (insufficient
voltages can cause this)?

>  Or did my stupid PC just decide to take now to blow it? As far as I
> know, the
>previous part of the LL was trouble-free.
>W98, Prime95 V2 21.2.1.  1.3 GHz P4, 384 MB RAM

Or....  You could have tripped over a bug in v21.2.  This was a beta version
of prime95 and whatsnew.txt for 21.3 states:

A bug was fixed in the error recovery code.  After getting a "Disregard
last error" message, the user was treated to a new error on every
iteration.  The end result was incorrect.  The bug only affected the
error recovery of the new P4 FFT introduced in the beta version 21.2.

I'm pretty sure I notified this list about the problem urging P4 users
to upgrade to v21.3.

>I am bummed.

I would be too.  I hope you have a recent backup of the save file before
this mess started.

>Thanks for advice or condolences.

Condolences.  Upgrade to v21.5.  If you have a backup of the save file
restore it.  Run a torture test for several hours.  Then resume the computation
using the restored save file.

***NOTE:  There is an important lesson to be learned here.  All testers of
10M digit numbers should backup their save files regularly!!  You don't want
a hardware glitch, disk crash, etc. cause you to loose months of work.

Sorry,
George