On 14 Feb 2002, at 20:00, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Rich Schroeppel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> <<<
> The cost analysis of trial factoring by GCDs of 2^P-1 with the
> product of many small candidate divisors ignores an important
> optimization: All the candidates can be multiplied together
> mod 2^P-1, and ONLY ONE GCD NEEDS TO BE DONE. The major cost is
> probably the multiplications. Reduction mod 2^P-1 is particularly
> fast, but the same principle applies to random ultra-large targets.

Umm. Can someone please reassure me that we're not re-inventing
P-1 stage 1?

The other point here is that the GCD is _expensive_. On a 1GHz
P3 or Athlon the GCD at the end of P-1 on exponent ~10^7 takes ~
10 minutes. In that time you can try ~ 10^9 63-bit factors, even
ignoring those which fall through the sieve.

Please don't let my scepticism put you off; you're quite right to say
that advances only come from thinking the unthinkable; but, if there
is significant mileage in this idea (and it isn't a straight rehash of
P-1), then (in the words of HHGG) surprise will no longer be
adequate, and I will be forced to turn to astonishment.