On Thursday 28 February 2002 02:54, Mary K. Conner wrote:
> At 09:48 PM 2/27/02 -0500, Marcel van de Vusse wrote:
> >I just rebooted my machine so my daughter could play a game in Windows.
> >Booted back to Linux afterwards, and now mprime keeps (wrongly) giving
> >me the above error.
> >
> >Does anybody know how mprime detects another copy already running, and
> >how to work around the above error. I double and triple checked. There
> >is NO copy of mprime running.
>
> Look in local.ini.  There is an entry in there for Pid, which is the
> process ID of the mprime that last ran.  What probably happened is that
> when you rebooted, another process was given the PID that mprime used to
> have, and when you try to start mprime, it sees a process running with that
> PID and refuses to run.  Remove the Pid entry from local.ini, and all
> should be well.

The test could be reinforced by checking the program name associated with the
PID. If it _is_ mprime, then another copy using the same local.ini file
really _is_ running. If it _isn't_ mprime, then the PID in the local.ini file
is _wrong_ and can be ignored.

This is still somewhat less than 100% since there _could_ be an unrelated
program called mprime running, or the user might be running mprime under a
different program name. But it is sufficient to squash this particular
problem, which might be fairly common on systems where mprime is started
automatically in the system startup scripts.