Here's my reply to George... figure I might as well share my thoughts
with the rest of y'all and see what ya think.
----------
As with any executable that may run as a system service, it would be
nice to have some installation routine check to see if it's on an NTFS
partition, and if so, make sure that wherever the EXE file ends up, it's
read/write for only administrators, read-only for everyone else.

Otherwise, someone with a non-admin logon account on that machine could
modify the EXE with their own, reboot, and that EXE of theirs runs under
local system and can do naughty things.

That's why, in general, most software that runs as a service will copy
it's files into the system32 directory where, by default, the
permissions are just as described.

If it's a FAT partition, then it really doesn't matter because any
service could be modified.

For that matter, you could modify a file on an NTFS partition by using
any of the NTFS read/write programs like NTFSDOS or ERD Commander, etc.
etc.  But the point is not to make it easy on someone.  If they had a
tool like NTFSDOS or ERD Commander, they could do whatever they wanted
anyway. :)

Otherwise, as long as the code is working to prevent launching multiple
instances, then I don't see a problem with it overall.

You could even have the service run as a user account instead of local
system, although that allows for other possible problems if network
access is restricted by user account according to policies or single
sign on firewall solutions.  I'd guess that in those cases, even local
system would have problems, so it may be worth looking into... create a
local, non-admin user account and have the service run as that user.
Common practice, especially for web services, .NET stuff, etc.

My $0.02 worth.

Aaron

PS - In re: to the comments below... Guest is disabled by default, so
that's probably the least of the concerns. :)