I played around some more with the Services Control Panel Applet.  If you
uncheck
the "Allow service to interact with desktop" and leave it in the Local
System account
then the new prime95 service still runs OK.  Prime95 does not appear on the
end user's desktop.  You can still configure prime95 by stopping the
service, running prime95 as
a normal app (user privileges rather than Local System privileges), change your
settings, exit prime95, start the service.  Is this secure enough for you
hardcore
server admins?

I could not get the new prime95 service to run in a user account.  I don't
know if this
is merely due to my limited NT experience.

At 07:06 PM 6/26/2002 +0000, Brian J. Beesley wrote:
> > My hope is to eliminate the NTsetup and NTPrime programs with this feature.
>Umm - what is the problem with keeping these?

It just makes my life easier.  Right now if I change a dialog box, I need
to change
it in Prime95 and NTsetup.

I'm not against supporting the old NT service (maybe without NTsetup), but
if the
new scheme works it is easier to support only one style of NT service.

>Really dumb question - why does a service need a GUI interface at all?

You don't need it very often - just to do a status check, run a benchmark, etc.
I'd bet most users play with the GUI occasionally for the first month and
never use it
again.

As to the separate DLL or having a service talk to a gui via named piped
(the MS
preferred solution, I'm trying to solve the WinXP problem with a minimum amount
of work on my part.  Splitting the working existing GUI into two separate
pieces is
not an easy chore.

BTW, the WinXP problem is naive home users (like me!) can set up user accounts
for different family members.  In V21 prime95, selecting "start at bootup"
really
starts at logon and does not handle logging off or a second user logging on
well
at all.  Naive users are not savvy enough to install the old NT service
version.