If memory serves me correct, I was the first one to use the term poaching in
reference to snagging numbers assigned to someone else, so I'll add my $0.02
worth. :)

At the time (and this debate still comes up every now and then), Primenet
didn't expire exponents... That was something that George and Scott would do
manually on a periodic basis.

I thought nothing at all of going through the primenet work lists and
finding exponents that hadn't been checked on in a while or had been running
for years, or that still had years left to run, and then just completing
them myself in order to get the darn things cleared off.  The reasoning
behind it was (and still is) to clear out old exponents being double-checked
so that we would be able to confirm the order of the known Mersenne
primes... Having to wait for 2 years (and yes, there were some like that)
for a single exponent to be double-checked when that would hold up proving
the ordering of a certain prime, well... It bugged me. :)

Now that exponents are re-released automatically after not being checked in
for 60 days, that has certainly helped.  There are still the odd machines
(486's or what?) out there that run and actually do check in from time to
time, yet will take years to complete a single LL test, but the issue of
finishing out double-check ranges hasn't really come up in a while, so I
don't care so much at the moment.

However, it should be noted that I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to "poach"
a double-check from a MUCH slower machine if that's what was holding up
finishing off a range of checks...  By slow, I mean an exponent that was
still showing over 6 months or so to complete, especially when a good, new
machine could finish the same exponent in a couple of days. :)

For the most part though, it seemed that once upon a time there was a
problem with poachers who just took small exponents from people who were
actually still working on them, and simply ran them on a faster machine or
something.  That's the sort of thing that gives us "respectable" poachers a
bad name. :-D

As for any legal issues, well, at the time there were no rewards for finding
the next prime, so if I had happened to poach a prime #, I'm sure it
wouldn't have been a big a deal as it would be now if you were actually
going to claim some prize money as a result.

Still though, IANAL but it would seem that since these numbers are public
domain, and nobody can be said to have any special claim to any of them, you
probably wouldn't have much legal standing if you wanted to go after someone
who poached a number from you that turned out to be a prize winning prime.
Yeah, it'd suck, but you know the old saying... Life isn't fair. :)

Aaron

PS - I can't remember how long I've been doing GIMPS now...  Since before
Primenet, but I can't recall how long ago that was... '96 maybe?  '97?
Seems like ages at any rate.  I just recall sending emails to George telling
him which numbers I'd picked from the database to start working on. :)  The
"original" primenet. :)