On Saturday 01 February 2003 07:53, Eric Hahn wrote:

> Let's say you've done 700 curves with B1=25,000 to
> find a factor up to 30-digits... and you've been
> unsuccessful... :-(
>
> Now you've decided to try 1800 curves with
> B1=1,000,000 to try and find a factor up to
> 35-digits.
>
> Do you have to start from scratch... or can you
> somehow use the information from attempting to
> find a factor up to 30-digits... to save some
> time and energy... and speed up the search
> process at the same time???

Effectively every curve is "starting from scratch". The only way I can think
of using information from previous unsuccessful curves is that it's probably
a Bad Idea to use the same s-value (well, it's a complete waste of time if
the limits are not increased).

The point here is that the chance of picking a previously-used s-value is
infinitesimal, providing the "random" number generator on the system is
reasonably behaved.