On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 09:11:38AM +0000, Brian J. Beesley wrote:
> You _might_ be able to recycle the old case as well - however you will
> probably need to replace the PSU with a new one in order to supply the power
> requirements of a P4 system. Look for PSUs rated over 300W with dual fans - I
> particularly reccomend the Enermax PSU with rheostat fan speed control
> because it's quiet & effective, though certainly not cheap.

While we're at it -- is it possible nowadays to get power supplies _without_
fans, or at least with only one? I removed my (rather noisy) SCSI disks a
month or so ago in favour of running diskless over NFS (unfortunately, I
can't get the gigabit cabling to work, so it's `only' 100mbit ATM), so what I
have left of fans is:

  - One 12dB CPU fan (80mm -- it used to be a problem that the CPU got hot,
    think 85°C, but after getting a proper heat sink it rarely goes over 60°C)
  - One microscopic fan on the graphics card
  - The two power supply fans (one 80mm and one 120mm)

It's funny -- when the disks and the CPU cooler noise goes away, you suddenly
start to care about the power supply, even though it is rather quiet already.
As I barely have any equipment left in the PC anymore (an Athlon XP 1700+,
some RAM, two rather old graphics cards, a network card and a sound card) I
don't think I'm going to need very much power either... Anybody know what my
options are if I want a silent power supply? :-)

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/