In a message dated 11/3/2003 2:04:50 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Pentium 4's use hyperthreading to give you a 'virtual' second CPU.

Don't bother trying to get another instance of Prime95 running on that 2nd
CPU... It's virtual and while a lot of programs can benefit, the extreme
workout that Prime95 generates means you won't get a benefit from running a
second copy.  It does mean that running a single instance as usual will, in
theory, work even better because a lot more of the OS related things or if
you use the computer to run Word, Excel or whatever will work better because
those can now use the virtual CPU for a lot more things.

And the reason it shows 50% is because Task Manager adds up all the CPU's
and that becomes the 100% high mark.  Since Prime95 is only using the first
CPU, it can at most only use 50%.

If you had multiple *real* processors and had Prime95 running on each one,
it would come out to 100%.

Hope that helps.

  I have a Pentium 4 processsor and TM indicates an average usage of close to 100% CPU for Prime 95 - am I running 'multiple instances' without being aware of it? If so, how do I prevent this if it will degrade efficiency?