On 05/01/2017 10:03 AM, Brian Paul wrote:
On 05/01/2017 08:32 AM, Brian Paul wrote:
On 04/28/2017 05:12 PM, Marek Olšák wrote:
Hi,

This series shrinks various gallium structures and removes
set_index_buffer in order to decrease CPU overhead.

PART 1: Performance results

All testing below was done with radeonsi, and I used the drawoverhead
microbenchmark from mesa/demos ported to piglit and using GL 3.0
Compat and GL 3.2 Core (same GL states in both contexts).

1) Performance difference for the removal of set_index_buffer only:

   Compat: DrawElements: 5.1 -> 5.3 million draws/second
   Core:   DrawElements: 5.1 -> 5.5 million draws/second

The result is better for the core profile where u_vbuf is disabled.

2) Performance difference with all 4 patches (Core profile only)

    DrawArrays: 8.3 -> 8.5 million draws/second
    DrawElements: 5.2 -> 5.8 million draws/second

3) Performance difference with threaded Gallium (Core profile only):

    DrawElements: 5.9 -> 7.1 million draws/second

Threaded Gallium is still work in progress and might require
a non-trivial amount of driver work.

PART 2: Call for testing

These drivers have been tested:
- ddebug
- llvmpipe
- r300 (also with SWTCL)
- r600
- radeonsi
- softpipe
- trace

These drivers need testing:
- etnaviv
- freedreno
- nv30
- nv50
- nvc0
- svga
- swr
- vc4
- virgl

The following state trackers might need testing:
- nine

You can get the patches by fetching:
   git://people.freedesktop.org/~mareko/mesa gallium-cleanup

I'd like to ask to you for testing drivers that I couldn't test.
Please let me know when you're done testing and if things are good.
After that, I'll push everything assuming the code review goes well.
You can also ignore this if you don't mind fixing your driver in
the master branch later.

With our VMware driver there's a whole bunch of clipflat failures.  I'll
try to see if it's something simple, otherwise, it may take a day or two
to look closer.

I think the attached patch fixes things (it should be merged with 3/4).
  I need to do another full piglit run, at least...

I see two more regressions from master:

spec/nv_primitive_restart/primitive-restart-vbo_combined_vertex_and_index

and

spec/!opengl 3.1/primitive-restart-xfb flush: pass fail

I spent a little time debugging without success. I'm not sure when I'll have time to resume. I guess you can push the changes anyway and I'll try to patch things up later.

-Brian