On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 2:28 AM Axel Davy <davyax...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13/02/2019 06:15, Marek Olšák wrote:
> > I decided to enable this optimization on all Pro graphics cards.
> > The reason is that I haven't had time to benchmark games.
> > This decision may be changed based on community feedback, etc.
>

> Could the decision to run the optimization be based on some perf
> counters related to culling ? If enough vertices are culled, you'd
> enable the optimization.

No, that's not possible. When I enable this, all gfx counters and pipeline
statistics report that (almost) no primitives are culled, because the
compute shader culls them before the gfx pipeline.

> There seems to be an AMD patent on the optimization, I failed to see it
> mentioned, maybe it should be pointed out somewhere.

Unlikely. It's based on this:
https://frostbite-wp-prd.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/29204330/GDC_2016_Compute.pdf

And this is pretty much a simpler version of what I implemented:
https://gpuopen.com/gaming-product/geometryfx/

Marek