Now I understand why _mesa_realloc is not appropriate to use here. From spec:

glBufferData creates a new data store for the buffer object currently bound to target. Any pre-existing data store is deleted. The new data store is created with the specified size in bytes and usage. If data is NULL, a data store of the specified size is still created, but its contents remain uninitialized and thus undefined.

Best regards,
Siavash Eliasi.