Stephen J Baker wrote:

> Perhaps it's time for Mesa to go to the dual-stream approach of the
> Linux Kernel and other packages like The GIMP where odd numbered
> releases are where new code goes and even numbered get all the bug
> fixes.
> What does everyone else think about this idea?

I'll have to think about it for a while but my first instinct is to
stick with the current system.  That is, release a series of betas
which initially introduce new optimizations and features and progress
toward bug-fix betas.  After I've released a beta which gets few or no
bug reports I'll typically rename that beta as a final release.
I believe there are enough people grabbing the betas to exercise it
acceptably.

This has worked reasonably well so far.  There are always bug fixes
for the last official release (ala patches_to_3.0/ on the ftp site)
but they're seldom serious or widely experienced by users.

I don't relish the thought of fixing bugs in two branches.

The time between the 3.0 and 3.1 releases is going to be much longer
than normal.  That's because there's been a tremendous amount of new
work.  I'd like to see smaller, more frequent releases after 3.1.

-Brian