On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Adam D. Moss wrote:

> Stephen J Baker wrote:
> > I was wondering about whether we should consider
> > dropping GLUT from the next major Mesa distribution
> > (3.4 I guess) and replacing it with 'freeglut'
>
> FWIW I think that this is a good idea, though I
> can't say whether freeglut is mature enough for the
> 3.4 timescale.

It *is* rather new code (the first public version is
only ~3 weeks old) - but like I said - it seems to
work flawlessly on every test I've tried it with,
and I'm now using it routinely.  If there was more
time to work on it, I'm not quite sure what you'd
use that time to do...apart from run more tests.
However, since it already runs all the GLUT and Mesa
example code, it's hard to imagine anyone writing
more test code to exercise it further.

We really need people to test it with more real
applications.

What is the 3.4 timescale anyway?

Perhaps it should go into the 3.3 codebase immediately
and we could back it out again for 3.4 if we are
snowed under with complaints.  That's what an
unstable odd-numbered release is *for* - right?

One other issue that I can see is that freeglut
currently only works under Windoze and X - not
MacOS, BeOS, etc, etc.   I don't know if that's
a problem or not.

Steve Baker                (817)619-2657 (Vox/Vox-Mail)
Raytheon Systems Inc.      (817)619-2466 (Fax)
Work: [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://www.hti.com
Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1