Just letting people know that I'm going to be starting a branch for Cell
driver development over the next few days.

We've had a couple of PS3's hanging around for a month or so now and
we've put a bit of time into playing with them - the Cell processors are
pretty impressive little devices, with solid amounts of performance and
bandwidth - right up in proper GPU territory, though not at the ultimate
high end.

Tungsten Graphics will be putting some of my time and others to get this
  started, but it's a big task & there should be room for lots of people
  to make a mark on the driver.  Several people have already expressed
interest in this.

I see this as a chance to push forward on a couple of fronts.

Of particular interest to us is the runtime code generator and shader
compiler.  We have been developing something we're calling the "Tungsten
Graphics Shader Infrastructure", which is intended to be a retargetable
compiler for GLSL and similar high level shading languages, anchored
around shared intermediate representations and a common optimization
framework.   I should be able to thow some documents up on the web soon
  to throw a bit of light on this.

Secondly is to note that the Cell driver will essentially be a
hyper-optimized software rasterizer, targeting of course a fairly
unusual CPU.  It is of great interest to me to use this project  to
advance the general state of software rasterization in Mesa, as well as
produce a specialized instance of such a rasterizer for Cell.

We'll be looking at this as the driver evolves, but it should be
possible to move forward somewhat independently in the meantime.

I've got a bunch of bits and pieces of code that Michal and I have
written over the last few months that I'm going to try and sort into a
cogent whole which will serve as a starting point for the driver.

Keith