On Thursday 17 May 2007 05:36:45 pm Keith Whitwell wrote:
> >> I think the Zack/Roberto LLVM tree has done just this.  Unfortunately
> >> for this immediate problem, they target a whole new intermediate
> >> representation.
> >
> > Zack, what tools did you use for the front-end/parser?  I've been
> > looking over LLVM but I haven't seen any sign of a parser generator.

Yeah, that's where Roberto came in :) We used QLALR which is simply amazing
and for those who ever used Bison a lot more convenient than what we had
right now.

http://labs.trolltech.com/page/Projects/Compilers/QLALR

Initially we used QLALR with Flex, then we just went only with QLALR (Flex is
really bad when its come to its usage in libraries and there was no real
reason for it). If you ever used yacc then you can use qlalr right away.
QLALR generated files are simply so much better it was just worth it. I think
Roberto could write a book about why QLALR just rocks and it makes sense to
use it in this case (granted that the book would have limited audience and
I'll let him do that once his back) rather than anything else.

> In fact I think they've used Roberto's QLALR compiler-generator, which
> in itself raises some issues about licensing.
>
> QLALR is GPL'ed, what is the GPL-status of the sources it generates??

Technically I think by default they inherit the license of the grammar. Now
having said that, it's of course up to developer to decide what is the
license of the grammar. We'll license everything under the same standard Mesa
MIT license.
But yeah, the glsl.g grammar that we have there is extremely good, Roberto did
a wonderful job and imho it would just make sense to use it with or without
LLVM (of course I do love that code so I am very biased).

Zack