On 08:58 Fri 13 Feb     , Brian Paul wrote:
> Maciej Cencora wrote:
> > What's the deal with all those build systems? Can't we agree on one and
> > drop
> > the rest?
>
> We'll probably get there one day.
>
> I'm still pretty attached to the old static config file system.  I've
> never been much of a fan of autoconf (for reasons I've listed in the past).
>
> Jose's been maintaining scons but I haven't used it too much myself yet.
>   Scons seems simpler/nicer than autoconf and works on more platforms
> (Windows in particular) so that'd probably be my choice if there were a
> gun to my head...

This whole post is about why scons shouldn't become the only build
system, so if you don't care about that, you can stop reading now.

Scons has a lot of problems from a packager's point of view. For one, it
ignores environment variables so PATH, CFLAGS, LDFLAGS, CC, and so on
are ignored. It's most convenient for packagers to simply run a script
and set up the environment, rather than having to edit or patch files,
which is unreliable and can be tricky. KDE decided not to go with SCons
because of lack of upstream support, difficulty of configuration,
problems with OS X, etc:

  "The KDE individuals who tried to bring SCons into a shape that made
   it fit for building such a huge project felt they didn't have any
   support from the upstream SCons developers. There were major problems
   building KDE on non-Linux platforms with SCons (e.g. on OS X); in
   general they felt it did not yet have a mature configuration system.
   The only option down that road was to create major SCons fixes and
   patches on their own. Since these changes would not likely be
   included in the upstream sources, it would require permanent
   maintenance of the fixes in a separate repository. In effect, this
   would have amounted to a fork of SCons. KDE developers would have had
   to maintain the new build system entirely on their own."
   -- http://lwn.net/Articles/188693/

My understanding is that MinGW runs nicely on Windows systems and will
deal with autotools just fine. Is the requirement to build using the
Microsoft compilers rather than to build and run on Windows? If so, that
seems pretty odd and has little relationship to what the goals should
be.

--
Thanks,
Donnie