On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 11:45:40AM -0500, Patrick Baggett wrote:
> > The problem you saw is that eglgears is not written for X.  Only the
> > demos with prefix xegl will work under X.
> > eglGetDisplay passes a "native display" to EGL.  Under X, this maps to
> > "Display *" naturally.  However, eglgears passes a string, which is
> > casted to "Display *" wrongly and segfaults immediately.  I would like
> > to improve the situation though.  For example, instead of segfault, it
> > should print an informative message.
> Dumb question for sure, but how can eglGetDisplay() determine if one pointer
> or another is a Display or a character string?
There is no way in general.  But, IMHO, I would rather blacklist drivers
in eglgears and print a warning than having it crash without the user
knowing why.  It took me sometime to figure it out when I first tried
EGL.

In general, I would also like to improve the documentation and make EGL
easier to deploy/package.  This way, I can attract more users and
developers.

--
Regards,
olv