On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 09:52 -0800, tom fogal wrote:
> writes:
> [snip]
> > The ideal would be to peer-review the merges before committing,
> > but it seems difficult to do that with git, while preserving merge
> > history and not redoing merges.
>
> Google has developed an infrastructure to do peer review using git.
> `Gerrit':
>
>   http://code.google.com/p/gerrit/
>
> My understanding is that the basic idea is like bzr's PQM, except
> the gatekeeper is human.  I haven't delved into it more deeply,
> because the server system sounds like one of those java/tomcat/servlet
> monstrosities && that scares me, but it's probably worth checking out
> if you feel strongly about this kind of thing.
>
> Bias up front: I'm really looking to get the opinion of a non-googler
> as to the efficacy/setup pain of the system, so I'm trying to get you
> to be my guinea pig ;)

Review infrastructures are nice. I'd have some bias towards
http://www.reviewboard.org/  by the similar reasons ;)

But automated infrastructures aside, my worry with reviewing merges is
the actual constraints that git has. For example, let's suppose the
following scenario:

1) Developer A merges a stable branch into master.
2) After spending a bunch of time fixing conflicts the best he can, he
emails the patch to mesa3d-dev for peer review.
3) Developer B checks in a change into master.
4) Developer A takes feedback from list, updates the code, and commits.
5) Developer A cannot push because remote head has moved.

So what can Developer A do now?

a) Redo the merge, using the new master head.
b) Rebase the merge on top of the new head (I'm not sure it works, or
that it preserves branch history)
c) Double merge, i.e., merge its local head with the new master head.

Note that this problem is not specific to reviews -- pushing merges can
always lead to this same situation --, but reviews of merges increase
the probability of this problem from unlikely to guaranteed.

Jose