Mesa/master is correct as is.  Changing ST_SURFACE_DEPTH to be !=
BUFFER_DEPTH is just hiding another problem elsewhere.

If ST_SURFACE_DEPTH==8 then calling st_set_framebuffer_surface(fb,
ST_SURFACE_DEPTH, surf) is effectively setting the fb's COLOR0
attachment to be a Z/stencil buffer (and leaves the fb's DEPTH
attachment undefined (or set to a default surface)).  I'm surprised
that doesn't cause tons of problems elsewhere.

To debug this, I'd start by looking for calls to
st_set_framebuffer_surface() with surfIndex==ST_SURFACE_DEPTH, then
no-op those calls.  That's roughly what would be happening if
ST_SURFACE_DEPTH==8.

-Brian