On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 5:20 PM, Jose Fonseca <jfons...@vmware.com> wrote:
> Because if you have a huge vertex buffer and you only draw few indices you
> may choose to upload to VRAM only the vertices actually referred.
> Applications do this. And for certain hardware uploads are very slow, so it
> is an worthwhile optimization.

Sure, not saying that it's not.

> Efficiency is just or more important goal than principles like "state tracker
> should sanitize". There is hardware that can handle buffers with out of
> bounds indices without crashing. The APIs we expose also make the same
> promise. In such situation the shortcomings on one hardware should not be
> taxed to all.

Oh, it's not a hardware limitation. If the vert and elt indices aren't
clamped, then an attacker could theoretically retrieve bits of
VRAM/GTT he shouldn't be allowed to peek at. In order to prevent this,
the radeon kernel module requires that I set those clamps, and that
they be within the bounds of the various buffers being used for
rendering. I wouldn't call it a shortcoming so much as a security
consideration.

I've pushed a revert of the original patch, and an r300g patch that,
while not perfect, covers the common case that Wine hits.

~ C.

--
Only fools are easily impressed by what is only
barely beyond their reach. ~ Unknown

Corbin Simpson
<mostawesomed...@gmail.com>